Exciting news! Worth1000 is joining the DesignCrowd.com community!

We're delighted to announce that Worth1000 is joining DesignCrowd. DesignCrowd is a marketplace which connects individuals and businesses seeking design with the most creative people on the planet.

Welcome aboard!

Want to learn more? Visit DesignCrowd

Existing User? Login to Worth1000

(Login to access your account, portfolio and current contests)
Storminatrix said 11 years ago 11/12/2003 12:10:47 AM EDT

Okay,I have had my wacom for a couple of days now, and I absolutely love it. The only thing is, I can't seem to get smooth, fluid lines for outlines. I thought maybe it was to do with the resolution but that doesn't fix it. I am using Photoshop 6 - is there any particular brush type to use that would make them nice and smooth? I have fiddled with the pressure sensitivity of the stylus and that didn't fix it either.

So...anyone got some good advice?

Jolt said 11 years ago 11/12/2003 1:20:59 AM EDT

Draw it smooth...

the stylus is just a pen, it doesn't necessarily correct fo rnormal hand gestures.

If youreally want a smooth line, draw a path with the pen tool and stroke that path via the edit menu.

MPolgara said 11 years ago 11/12/2003 3:03:32 AM EDT

The pen takes some getting used to. I'm still practicing, so my lines are a bit shaky. I've found the zooming way in makes it easier to get a clean line. And I use the smudge tool to smooth things out where needed. I'll have to try the path/pen tool trick, see what kinda results I get. :)

Storminatrix said 11 years ago 11/12/2003 3:18:42 AM EDT

I have been using the pen tool, thought the stylus would let me ditch that.

I am drawing smooth. I forgot to mention that Painter came with the wacom, and for some reason I can get smooth lines in that, but not in Photoshop.

it doesn't matter, I can stick with the pen tool, just thought maybe there was some trick to it that I was missing

squaredd said 11 years ago 11/12/2003 6:55:57 AM EDT

In the Brush Dynamics options pallate try minimizing your Jitters. Adobe also recommends turning on the Smoothing option when working with a stylus. Give that a go and see if it helps. (I can't believe Jolt didn't recommend this. He must have been very tired. ;))

Lompoc42 said 11 years ago 11/12/2003 9:08:15 AM EDT

On 11/12/2003 3:18:43 AM, Storminatrix said:

I am drawing smooth. I forgot to mention that Painter came with the wacom, and for some reason I can get smooth lines in that, but not in Photoshop.

it doesn't matter, I can stick with the pen tool, just thought maybe there was some trick to it that I was missing

Are you referring to the fact the you can't draw smooth curves in photoshop? I get the same problem. It's like photoshop won't take all the information or something and puts hard, square edges on a curve you draw. Very strange.

Storminatrix said 11 years ago 11/12/2003 7:40:56 PM EDT

On 11/12/2003 9:08:15 AM, Lompoc42 said:
[quote]On 11/12/2003 3:18:43 AM, Storminatrix said:

Are you referring to the fact the you can't draw smooth curves in photoshop? I get the same problem. It's like photoshop won't take all the information or something and puts hard, square edges on a curve you draw. Very strange.[/quote]

Yes, that is what I am talking about - it's not so much my actual lines aren't smooth because of a shaky hand, the lines get like "shards" sticking out of it. Not always, but most of the time.

Where is the "jitter" thing on PS? I am using v 6 and under Brush Dynamics all I have is size, opacity and colour and the only options are "off, fade, stylus"

[Edited by User on 11/12/2003 7:44:35 PM]

Spoonfan said 11 years ago 11/12/2003 11:52:29 PM EDT

I'm not familiar with Photoshop, but when drawing freehand lines in Paint Shop Pro, you can change the smoothness of your curve with the 'curve tracking' option. Presumably there's something similar in PS. Does the problem only occur when drawing lines?

JacksBlack said 11 years ago 11/13/2003 6:16:28 PM EDT

Storminatrix,

I think I used to have the problem you're talking about.

What happens is that you make the stroke on the tablet, but it doesn't show up on the screen for a second or two, and when it does there are sharp spots where it seems to skip from one point to another, leaving a straight line. Is that what you're experiencing?

I think it's a memory issue. I bought more RAM and changed the PhotoShop scratch disk to my fastest, largest drive. That seems to have solved it.

Lompoc42 said 11 years ago 11/13/2003 6:26:01 PM EDT

On 11/13/2003 6:16:28 PM, JacksBlack said:
Storminatrix,

I think I used to have the problem you're talking about.

What happens is that you make the stroke on the tablet, but it doesn't show up on the screen for a second or two, and when it does there are sharp spots where it seems to skip from one point to another, leaving a straight line. Is that what you're experiencing?

I think it's a memory issue. I bought more RAM and changed the PhotoShop scratch disk to my fastest, largest drive. That seems to have solved it.

See I would think the same thing here that it could be a memory issue, but I've got 1.5 GB of ram on Dual 2GHZ processors (ok I'm bragging about my G5 a llittle so sue me! :)) and it did the same thing. It doesn't do it in painter however. Painter gives your nice smooth arcs all the time.

Jolt said 11 years ago 11/13/2003 8:40:21 PM EDT

Background processes maybe?

Old drivers?

Radio interfereence with the tablet?

I've used a tablet on many systems over the years and have never seen what you guys are describing.

Lompoc42 said 11 years ago 11/14/2003 8:49:25 AM EDT

On 11/13/2003 8:40:21 PM, Jolt said:
Something about being jelous of Lompy's new Mac

I'll post an example this evening when I get off work. The odd thing is I've seen it on digital paintings from GFX and what not also.

JinxRLM said 11 years ago 11/14/2003 11:29:34 AM EDT

This has to be the weirdest thing ever.
I too have been getting jagged curves when I draw quickly, and just now I tried enabling "smooth". Why is that button even there? And why isn't it on by default?

I have tried some precision drawing with it both off and on, seemingly no difference. The only thing I notice is that jagged effect when it's off.

Also tried using a 600px soft brush in a 5000x5000 document (prettty slow update on my 2,4ghz), but it's only marginally slower with smoothing turned on, plus you don't get a zig-zag pattern :)

Even tried multi.

Jolt said 11 years ago 11/14/2003 12:41:46 PM EDT

Well, i've tried to get something like you folks are describing.. i can't.

Someone post a screen shot of it.

JinxRLM said 11 years ago 11/14/2003 12:47:18 PM EDT

Jolt said 11 years ago 11/14/2003 12:57:51 PM EDT

OOOO OUCH!!!! WTF???

Hmmm.... what would cause this.... hmmm......

Well, I've opened a 2gb file...maxxed out my RAM with other processes and played with every brush thing I could find. I can not duplicate that.

I've got to think it's a RAM issue. Especially if it only happens when there's a) a delay int he stroke painting and b) only when you make fast moves.

JinxRLM said 11 years ago 11/14/2003 1:22:24 PM EDT

Well, I found the perp.

This image shows a quick blurb drawn with and without brush spacing.

As it clearly shows, the jags occur as often as photoshop updates the brush-coordinates. I have no idea if this is at all fixable, with either the new PS/CS, or an updated wacom driver.

Edit: scratch the wacom driver: I get exactly the same results with the mouse, even if it's hard to move it around accurately.

[Edited by User on 11/14/2003 1:24:58 PM]

Jolt said 11 years ago 11/14/2003 3:15:05 PM EDT

it's not brush spacing.

Spacing will cause the dots (it's supposed to), but it will absolutely not cause the rugged, unflat arcs.

Again, I'm fairly certain this HAS to be hardware related.

Fisch said 11 years ago 11/14/2003 4:35:53 PM EDT

does it print out all jaggy?

squaredd said 11 years ago 11/14/2003 4:52:12 PM EDT

When in doubt ask the manufacturer.Wacom Support

JacksBlack said 11 years ago 11/14/2003 7:47:46 PM EDT

It's not just wacom tablets, although I understand that most people here are using that particular brand. I use Aiptek tablets.

Wahoo said 11 years ago 11/14/2003 11:39:44 PM EDT

On 11/14/2003 3:15:06 PM, Jolt said:
it's not brush spacing.

Spacing will cause the dots (it's supposed to), but it will absolutely not cause the rugged, unflat arcs.

Again, I'm fairly certain this HAS to be hardware related.

I have a P4 3.06G machine with 512M RAM and I get the same results. So maybe I don't have enough space allocated to my scratch disk? Could that be the problem?

Oh yeah...I know it's not a Mac, but it's what I got :P

JinxRLM said 11 years ago 11/15/2003 7:30:37 AM EDT

On 11/14/2003 3:15:06 PM, Jolt said:
it's not brush spacing.

When you turn off brush spacing, the brush places a brushmark on the screen with varied distance depending on how fast you move the pointer. That's what the dotted blurb is, sorry I wasn't more specific.

I'm not saying the program is at fault, but the update frequency is clearly evident when you try these things out. It might be a memory allocation problem with PS on the PC, or just a specific OS.

For reference: PS 7.0 / XP /2.5Ghz P4 / 1Gb Memory

molf said 11 years ago 11/16/2003 3:53:47 PM EDT

okay. i have the exact same problem, but turning the 'smoothing' option on in ps doesn't solve it (no change at all). either i'm turning on the wrong option, or this is a different problem alltogether...

Jolt said 11 years ago 11/16/2003 4:05:24 PM EDT

I say it's a RAM/RAM allocation issue.